Saturday 20 March 2010

Must get better at this!!

It's been a really really long time since I last blogged but so much has happened I thought I'd blog and get it all off my chest!!
Well the end of 2009 was quite pants with Charlie being in and out of hospital and Olliver having a while host of problems. Charlie got home from hospital Christmas week after going into have his port a cath fitted and having to stay in for a week after the doctors discovering he had a nasty ear infection and some chest noise. He had the two usual I.V antibiotics and they seemed to do the trick. So we were allowed home to prepare for xmas which we did and thankfully it was a good one with no hospital admissions or anything unforeseen!!!
Olliver has had a lot of health problems of late and has recently been diagnosed with hyper mobility syndrome for which he has physio weekly and exercises to do at home daily. Auditory processing disorder which I'm still trying to fully understand and have become increasingly frustrated at his schools lack of help for him regarding this and also a possible immunodeficiency for which tests are still ongoing. Although obviously all this has come as a blow the fact that he possibly has a diagnosis in the immunodeficiency for all his ongoing problems has come as a strange kind of relief, because hopefully now he can have the correct treatment for this, which will in turn help a lot of his recurrent problems.
So that was how 2009 ended. This year has so far been a busy one as normal but not all due to the constant rounds of hospitals visits etc. I have started volunteering in a pre school with a view to working there part time come September. I have been really enjoying it and so far it seems to be going well. Strangely enough it was me who suggested doing the job voluntary as I was very unsure if I would be able to manage it with everything else I have to do regards the boys. I went for the interview as normal and explained my situation then a few days later they called to offer me the job and I've been doing it since. I really enjoy it and it takes me away from the endless round of illness hospitals treatment etc and gives me something for myself so I really hope I'm able to continue. I have two days a week free and have so far been managing to fit all appointments into those so fingers crossed.
Charlie this year so far has not been to bad he is still on his host of daily medications including twice daily chest physiotherapy and three weekly plasma infusions. He even managed to beat an ear infection a couple of weeks ago with just some strong oral antibiotics no i.v's required so we were over the moon about that. Now we're concentrating on getting him prepared for reception class in September and fighting to ensure funding is secured before he starts to enable him to have the support he needs. I will fight tooth and nail for this if necessary as I feel if Charlie starts school without the appropriate support this will do more harm than good and could set him back further. We want the transition to be as smooth as possible as he has enough disruption in his life dealing with his illness etc and pre school has been one of the main stables in it so it will be hard for him whatever we do. H e is aware he will be starting a new school and is worried partly because he wont be at the same school as his brother and partly due to the fact he's so worried about coming out of nappies and having to use the toilet at school. Charlie is still in nappies in part due to the volume of medication he is on and his illness in general but also because of his slight developmental delay. I hope he will be in pants soon during the day and we're working really hard on this. Anyway that's all I've got time for at the moment but I'm going to try and update this regularly because regardless of whether or not any one reads it I find it very therapeutic!! I will update the rest of our news soon

No comments: